Raiser Kenniff

Toll Free888-504-2746

Criminal Defense; Underage Drug Crimes

When young adults engage in usage of illegal drugs, they, the community they’re in and their family suffers. Four out of every five teenagers involved in crimes are under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both according to the report by The National Center of Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University. A youth involved to persistent usage of drugs carries a number of problems which could include mental health issues, poor peer relationship, health-related problems and academic difficulties.

There is a strong link between substance abuse and the rising crimes. Because of this, juvenile justice system is placed. For instance, in America, Driving Under the Influence of Drugs (DUID) is among the common juvenile cases. Some states have Zero Tolerance Law when it comes to this case. The Zero Tolerance Laws is applicable to usage of drugs of all sorts including cocaine, hallucinogens, inhalants, methamphetamine, heroin, marijuana and morphine. When a teenager or a child is arrested, the parents or guardians commonly opt to get a juvenile defense attorney who can help the child out of the criminal system.

In drug crimes on teenager, for example the usage of marijuana, the prosecution on their end has to prove four basic things. One is that the child is the offender. Second is the occurrence of crime is documented and with proof that he or where was caught at a certain place and time. Third, the substance must be in possession of the offense and fourth, the substance was an illegal drug. A child who is in involve in underage drug crimes have three options in the court; 1.) Plead guilty 2.) Plead not guilty, or, 3.) To admit the charges and ask for diversion to which his or her case will be treated differently. In the last option, the child must agree to certain conditions. If the child agrees, he or she will not have criminal records.

Our Office Locations

New York

87 Walker Street
2nd Floor
New York, New York 10013

Phone: 212-274-0090

Get Directions


300 Old Country Road
Suite 351
Mineola, New York 11501

Phone: 516-742-7600

Get Directions


80 Orville Drive
Suite 100
Bohemia, New York 11716

Phone: 631-630-2295

Get Directions